Saturday, January 27, 2007

Citizens Assembly

The deadline for submitting a suggestion to Ontario's Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform is January 31st. I was reluctant to submit anything because I really think the entire idea of a citizens' assembly is a cop-out by the Ontario legislature. We pay MPP's to make hard decisions. This should have been done by a legislative committee with the same kind of public consultation that is now going on. However, since this is the way this process is working, I decided to submit my argument for a majoritarian run-off system. This system is not even on the radar but I view it as the best way to improve proportionality while maintaining local accountability and representation. Really, I did this so that I can justify complaining when they choose a system that will ruin our democracy. Anyway the link to my submission is here if anyone cares.

Quick Note: I updated my "Race for the Exits 2008" posts. The candidates names are now linked to official websites, draft websites, or Wikipedia entries depending on availability.

No comments:

All views expressed in this blog are those of the author and the author alone. They do not represent the views of any organization, regardless of the author's involvement in any organizations.

All comments are the views of the individual writer. The administrator reserves the right to remove commentary which is offensive.

The author is not responsible for nor does he support any of the advertisements displayed on the page